- Shampoos & Conditioners - Shampoo
- Health Feature - Medicated
- Medication Type - Bacterial And Fungal Infection,Hot Spots
- Shower Feature - Anti Fungal Anti Bacterial,Medicated,Sensitive Skin Shower
- Health Benefits - Skin And Coat Health
- Life Stages - All Life Stages
- Categories - Bath, Medicated Bath
For the prevention of bacterial (Staphylococcal) skin infections in dogs, Pyohex shampoo and conditioner are used. There can be a wide range of signs or appearances and causes of bacterial skin infections in dogs. Popular Bacterial Infection Appearances:
- Circular rings of scale or redness (as larger pimples pop and leave ‘rings’ of skin damage)
- Moist areas of skin commonly referred to as hotspots
Reasons for bacterial skin infections:
While most cases of skin infections in dogs can be traced to underlying conditions that encourage the low numbers of normal bacterial residents to overgrow and trigger disease, sometimes there is just bad luck involved. Basic Causes of Bacterial Infections:
- Allergy, pollen, grass, food (meats), fleas
- Hormonal problems (including Cushing’s disease and thyroid problems)
- Parasitic infestations such as demodex mites or Scabies.
Pyohex shampoo and conditioner have the great benefit over creams and lotions in that they can be applied all over, regardless of the amount of fur coverage.
- The shampoo should be applied to a wet coat and lathered up.
- Leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
- Distract the dog from licking during this period. Ingestion of foam can upset their stomach.
- Enable the dog to shake excess water out of its coat after rinsing and then rub the conditioner through the coat while still damp. By adding a small amount to your palms, gently rubbing your hands together and then dabbing your hands over the hair of your dog, this can be done. Provide your dog a good rub to spread it uniformly across the coat after the conditioner is loosely applied.
The shampoo and conditioner should be used twice a week during times of active infection. Bathing once a week or fortnight once the infection has healed is also adequate to avoid recurrences. The time of year can affect the frequency of bathing-dogs suffering from bad allergies can find they need more regular bathing during spring and summer than they do in winter when their allergies are not as involved.
- Ensure your dog is thoroughly wet before applying Pyohex Medicated Shampoo as this will make lathering and spreading it easier.
- Use a wet sponge to help to ensure the coat is wet and the Pyohex Medicated Shampoo lathers and spreads well.
- Allow the full 10 minutes contact time for the Pyohex Medicated Shampoo as this will allow optimal efficacy.